Chaplin Cleanup Day
April 21, 2018 (Saturday)
We live in a wonderful town, that's filled with the natural beauty of forests, fields, rivers, streams, ponds and wildlife—as well as historic buildings and cemeteries. All too often, many of us forget just how interesting and beautiful our town is, and don't do all that we can to help preserve that beauty. If you're like me, you feel disgusted when you're walking or driving down a road in our town and see trash littering the sides of the road, or in our cemeteries, Diana's Pool, or other public spaces. Here's a chance to do something about it!
The Chaplin Conservation Commission sponsors an annual Chaplin Cleanup Day, which takes place in April each year. We receive funding for food and refreshments from The Last Green Valley.
The goal is to have as many individuals, households, and organizations as possible each agree to clean up a section of road or other public area (like Diana's Pool, a cemetery, etc.) within Chaplin. We hope that you will participate, and encourage your friends and neighbors to participate, to help renew this sense of pride and make our town an even better place to live.
How to Participate
- Look at the list of cleanup commitments below, and choose an area not yet taken that you or your family/household/organization are willing to take responsibility for cleaning.
- Email a note to email@example.com with the following:
- ► Your Name(s).
- ► The area you'll be cleaning up (if part of a road, give intersections or house numbers of ends).
- ► How many people plan on attending the after-cleanup lunch.
- ► (Limited Availability) You can also request to borrow a trash pickup tool or high visibility safety vest (include size of S, M, L, XL, XXL). If you do, please also provide your phone number.
- On or before April 21, perform the cleanup. Plastic trash bags and gloves will be available at the Chaplin Town Hall if you need them. If you come across anything on roads or public land that's too large for you to manage, please let us know, and we'll ask the town to deal with it, if that's appropriate. For the weekend of April 21, a town dump truck will be parked at the Town Hall parking lot, into which you can deposit trash from the cleanup (please do NOT bring any personal trash).
- After the cleanup, send any comments, reports, or photos that you want to share about what you found to firstname.lastname@example.org. These will be published on this cleanup web page. There is also a Trash Tracker Form (download as MS Word or PDF) that The Last Green Valley is requiring participants to fill out as a condition of their grant for this event, to give them a better idea of what sorts of trash are common (it's fine to just write in approximate amounts for everything). Please fill out this form and either email it to email@example.com (preferred) or drop it off at the After Cleanup Lunch at Garrison Park.
After Cleanup Lunch 1:00pm - 2:00pm Garrison Park
For everyone who participated in the cleanup, we will be gathering at Garrison Park for an after-cleanup lunch. Food and drink will be provided (probably pizza, sandwiches, soda and seltzer), and additional potluck contributions are welcome (but not required). Please let us know if you are planning on attending, so we'll know how much food to purchase.
If the weather is bad or it's too cold, we will have the lunch inside at the Chaplin Town Hall instead.
2018 Chaplin Cleanup Commitments (View Map)
|198, from Chaplin St. to Ridge Rd--WEST SIDE ONLY||Scott Matthies|
|198, from Ridge Rd. to Bedlam Rd.||Micah Gutt|
|Bedlam Rd. Cemetery||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. from North/South Bedlam to Hall Rd.||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. from Hall Rd. to Rt. 198||Chris Komuves|
|Bujak Rd.||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|England Rd., from Canada Ln. to South Bear Hill Rd.||Brandi DeMao|
|England Rd., from Rt. 198 to Canada Ln.||Sandra Horning|
|Goddell Rd.||Rusty & Ann Lanzit|
|Lynch Rd., from #254 to end||Cher Desautels|
|Marcy Rd.||Dave Raczkowski & Ann Lewis|
|Middle Rd.||Dan & Linda Rogers|
|Morey Rd. from 198 to Marcy Rd.||Rusty & Ann Lanzit|
|Morey Rd. from Marcy Rd. to Town Line||Dave Raczkowski & Ann Lewis|
|North Bear Hill Rd. from Rt. 198 to Natchaug River||Carl Lindquist|
|Palmer Rd. from Chaplin St. to Ridge Rd.||Cesar Beltran|
|Pumpkin Hill Rd. from town line to Stone House Brook||Warren Church|
|Nutmeg Lane||Dan & Linda Rogers|
|Ridge Rd. from Tower Hill Rd. to Palmer Rd.||Cesar Beltran|
|Ridge Rd. from Palmer Rd. to Rt. 198||Scott Matthies|
|Scotland Rd.||Cher Desautels|
|Singleton Rd.||Heather Haycock & Ann Lewis|
|South Bear Hill Rd., from end to Cross Rd.||Janet Stone|
|South Bear Hill Rd., from Cross Rd. to ??||Elizabeth Barr|
|South Bear Hill Rd., from Canada Ln. to North Bear Hill Rd.||Brandi DeMao|
|South Cemetary Rd.||Janet Stone|
|Tower Hill Rd., from town line to Bujak Rd (#386)||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Bujak Rd. to Federal Rd.||Paul Baillargeon|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Federal Rd. to Davis Rd.||Adele Swart|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Davis Rd. to Ridge Rd.||Carl Lindquist|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Ridge Rd. to Chaplin St.||Bill Jordan, Gavan, Jayden|
2018 Cleanup Photos(Click on photos to view full size)
For any questions or comments, please contact Chris Komuves at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 455-9839 [cell]. You can also view information on previous cleanup days: 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.