Chaplin Cleanup Day
April 21, 2018 (Saturday)
We live in a wonderful town, that's filled with the natural beauty of forests, fields, rivers, streams, ponds and wildlife—as well as historic buildings and cemeteries. All too often, many of us forget just how interesting and beautiful our town is, and don't do all that we can to help preserve that beauty. If you're like me, you feel disgusted when you're walking or driving down a road in our town and see trash littering the sides of the road, or in our cemeteries, Diana's Pool, or other public spaces. Here's a chance to do something about it!
The Chaplin Conservation Commission sponsors an annual Chaplin Cleanup Day, which takes place in April each year. We receive funding for food and refreshments from The Last Green Valley.
The goal is to have as many individuals, households, and organizations as possible each agree to clean up a section of road or other public area (like Diana's Pool, a cemetery, etc.) within Chaplin. We hope that you will participate, and encourage your friends and neighbors to participate, to help renew this sense of pride and make our town an even better place to live.
How to Participate
- Look at the list of cleanup commitments below, and choose an area not yet taken that you or your family/household/organization are willing to take responsibility for cleaning.
- Email a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- ► Your Name(s).
- ► The area you'll be cleaning up (if part of a road, give intersections or house numbers of ends).
- ► How many people plan on attending the after-cleanup lunch.
- ► (Limited Availability) You can also request to borrow a trash pickup tool or high visibility safety vest (include size of S, M, L, XL, XXL). If you do, please also provide your phone number.
- On or before April 21, perform the cleanup. Plastic trash bags and gloves will be available at the Chaplin Town Hall if you need them. If you come across anything on roads or public land that's too large for you to manage, please let us know, and we'll ask the town to deal with it, if that's appropriate. For the weekend of April 21, a town dump truck will be parked at the Town Hall parking lot, into which you can deposit trash from the cleanup (please do NOT bring any personal trash).
- After the cleanup, send any comments, reports, or photos that you want to share about what you found to email@example.com. These will be published on this cleanup web page. There is also a Trash Tracker Form (download as MS Word or PDF) that The Last Green Valley is requiring participants to fill out as a condition of their grant for this event, to give them a better idea of what sorts of trash are common (it's fine to just write in approximate amounts for everything). Please fill out this form and either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or drop it off at the After Cleanup Lunch at Garrison Park.
After Cleanup Lunch 1:00pm - 2:00pm Garrison Park
For everyone who participated in the cleanup, we will be gathering at Garrison Park for an after-cleanup lunch. Food and drink will be provided (probably pizza, sandwiches, soda and seltzer), and additional potluck contributions are welcome (but not required). Please let us know if you are planning on attending, so we'll know how much food to purchase.
If the weather is bad or it's too cold, we will have the lunch inside at the Chaplin Town Hall instead.
2018 Chaplin Cleanup Commitments (View Map)
|Bedlam Rd. Cemetery||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. from North/South Bedlam to Hall Rd.||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. from Hall Rd. to Rt. 198||Chris Komuves|
|Goddell Rd.||Rusty & Ann Lanzit|
|Morey Rd from 198 to Marcy Rd.||Rusty & Ann Lanzit|
|North Bear Hill Rd. from Rt. 198 to Natchaug River||Carl Lindquist|
|Palmer Rd. from Chaplin St. to Ridge Rd.||Cesar Beltran|
|Pumpkin Hill Rd. from town line to Stone House Brook||Warren Church|
|Ridge Rd. from Tower Hill Rd. to Palmer Rd.||Cesar Beltran|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Federal Rd. to Davis Rd.||Adele Swart|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Davis Rd. to Ridge Rd.||Carl Lindquist|
For any questions or comments, please contact Chris Komuves at email@example.com or (860) 455-9839 [cell]. You can also view information on previous cleanup days: 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.