Chaplin Cleanup Day
April 16, 2016 (Saturday)
We live in a wonderful town, that's filled with the natural beauty of forests, fields, rivers, streams, ponds and wildlife—as well as historic buildings and cemeteries. All too often, many of us forget just how interesting and beautiful our town is, and don't do all that we can to help preserve that beauty. If you're like me, you feel disgusted when you're walking or driving down a road in our town and see trash littering the sides of the road, or in our cemeteries, Diana's Pool, or other public spaces. Here's a chance to do something about it!
The Chaplin Conservation Commission sponsors an annual Chaplin Cleanup Day, which takes place on the 3rd Saturday of April each year, which is the first Saturday after income tax returns are due. This is usually just the right time of year. It is late enough that the weather is usually tolerably warm, the spring thaw mud is drying, and all the greenery is just on the verge of popping out. It is also just early enough that the foliage isn't quite out yet, including poison ivy leaves. And it's the same week as Earth Day. We receive funding for food and refreshments from The Last Green Valley.
The goal is to have as many individuals, households, and organizations as possible each agree to clean up a section of road or other public area (like Diana's Pool, a cemetery, etc.) within Chaplin. We hope that you will participate, and encourage your friends and neighbors to participate, to help renew this sense of pride and make our town an even better place to live.
Here's how it works:
- Look at the list of cleanup commitments below, and choose an area not yet taken that you or your family/household/organization are willing to take responsibility for cleaning.
- Email a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- - Your Name(s)
- - The area you'll be cleaning up (if part of a road, give intersections or house numbers of ends)
- - How many people plan on attending the after-cleanup lunch.
- On or before April 16, perform the cleanup. Plastic trash bags and gloves will be available at the Chaplin Town Hall if you need them. If you come across anything on roads or public land that's too large for you to manage, please let us know, and we'll ask the town to deal with it, if that's appropriate. For the weekend of April 16, a town dump truck will be parked at the Town Hall parking lot, into which you can deposit trash from the cleanup (please do NOT bring any personal trash).
- After the cleanup, send any comments, reports, or photos that you want to share about what you found to email@example.com. These will be published on this cleanup web page. There is also a Trash Tracker Form (download as MS Word or PDF) that The Last Green Valley would like participants to fill out, to give them a better idea of what sorts of trash are common. It would be helpful if you could fill out this form and either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or drop it off at the After Cleanup Lunch at Garrison Park.
After Cleanup Lunch 1:00pm - 2:00pm Garrison Park
For everyone who participated in the cleanup, we will be gathering at Garrison Park for an after-cleanup lunch. Food and drink will be provided (probably pizza, soda and seltzer), and additional potluck contributions are welcome (but not required). Please let us know if you are planning on attending, so we'll know how much food to purchase.
2016 Chaplin Cleanup Commitments (View Map)
|Rt. 198 from Chaplin St. to Natchaug River Bridge||Victoria Northrop & Cesar Beltran|
|Bedlam Rd. Cemetery||Chris Komuves|
|Bedlam Rd. from Town Line to Cemetery||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. from Cemetery to #100||Chris Komuves|
|Bedlam Rd. from #100 to Rt. 198||Will Hooper|
|Bujak Rd., from Tower Hill Rd. to #109 (paved part)||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Bulduc Ln.||Adele & Hank Swart|
|Chaplin St., from Palmer Rd. to Tower Hill Rd.||Deb Field|
|Chewink Rd.||Matthew Cunningham & Family|
|Diana's Pool||Boy Scouts Troop 440|
|England Rd., from Rt. 198 to Natchaug River Bridge||Hal & Teresa Ridgeway|
|England Rd., from Natchaug to S.Bear Hill Rd.(end)||Juan Sanchez & Family|
|Federal Rd., from Davis Rd. to Tower Hill Rd.||Adele & Hank Swart|
|Goddell Rd.||Rusty & Ann Lanzit|
|Lynch Rd.||Johanne & Bill Philbrick|
|Halls Pond Rd.||The White Family|
|Marcy Rd.||Ann Lewis & David Raczkowski|
|Morey Rd.||Rusty & Ann Lanzit|
|Natchaug St.||Howard - Cordy Family|
|Nollett Rd.||Jennifer Roberts & Family|
|North Bear Hill Rd., from Rt. 198 to Natchaug River.||Carl Lindquist|
|North Bedlam Rd.||Kellie Monroe & Family|
|Palmer Rd., From North Bedlam Rd. to Ridge Rd.||John Smith & Family|
|Palmer Rd., From Ridge Rd. to Chaplin St.||Deb Field|
|Parish Hill Rd., from High School to Town Line||Tom & Tanya Stone|
|Ridge Rd., from Tower Hill Rd. to Palmer Rd.||Deb Field|
|South Bear Hill Rd., from end to Cross Rd.||Janet Stone|
|South Cemetary Rd.||Janet Stone|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Mansfield Town Line to Bujak Rd.||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Bujak Ln. to Federal Rd.||Kitty LeShay|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Davis Rd. to Ridge Rd.||Carl Lindquist|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Federal Rd. to Davis Rd.||Kam Willey Diwan|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Ridge Rd. to Chaplin St.||Deb Field|
2016 Cleanup Photos
You can post any questions or comments to the Chaplin Town Forum (email to email@example.com or signup below), that you would like to share with other people in the town. For any general questions or comments, please contact Chris Komuves at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 455-9839 [cell]. You can also view information on previous cleanup days: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.