Chaplin Cleanup Day
April 15, 2017 (Saturday)
We live in a wonderful town, that's filled with the natural beauty of forests, fields, rivers, streams, ponds and wildlife—as well as historic buildings and cemeteries. All too often, many of us forget just how interesting and beautiful our town is, and don't do all that we can to help preserve that beauty. If you're like me, you feel disgusted when you're walking or driving down a road in our town and see trash littering the sides of the road, or in our cemeteries, Diana's Pool, or other public spaces. Here's a chance to do something about it!
The Chaplin Conservation Commission sponsors an annual Chaplin Cleanup Day, which takes place in April each year. We receive funding for food and refreshments from The Last Green Valley.
The goal is to have as many individuals, households, and organizations as possible each agree to clean up a section of road or other public area (like Diana's Pool, a cemetery, etc.) within Chaplin. We hope that you will participate, and encourage your friends and neighbors to participate, to help renew this sense of pride and make our town an even better place to live.
Here's how it works:
- Look at the list of cleanup commitments below, and choose an area not yet taken that you or your family/household/organization are willing to take responsibility for cleaning.
- Email a note to email@example.com with the following:
- - Your Name(s)
- - The area you'll be cleaning up (if part of a road, give intersections or house numbers of ends)
- - How many people plan on attending the after-cleanup lunch.
- On or before April 15, perform the cleanup. Plastic trash bags and gloves will be available at the Chaplin Town Hall if you need them. If you come across anything on roads or public land that's too large for you to manage, please let us know, and we'll ask the town to deal with it, if that's appropriate. For the weekend of April 15, a town dump truck will be parked at the Town Hall parking lot, into which you can deposit trash from the cleanup (please do NOT bring any personal trash).
- After the cleanup, send any comments, reports, or photos that you want to share about what you found to firstname.lastname@example.org. These will be published on this cleanup web page. There is also a Trash Tracker Form (download as MS Word or PDF) that The Last Green Valley would like participants to fill out, to give them a better idea of what sorts of trash are common. It would be helpful if you could fill out this form and either email it to email@example.com (preferred) or drop it off at the After Cleanup Lunch at Garrison Park.
After Cleanup Lunch 1:00pm - 2:00pm Garrison Park
For everyone who participated in the cleanup, we will be gathering at Garrison Park for an after-cleanup lunch. Food and drink will be provided (probably pizza, sandwiches, soda and seltzer), and additional potluck contributions are welcome (but not required). Please let us know if you are planning on attending, so we'll know how much food to purchase.
If the weather is bad or it's too cold, we will have the lunch inside at the Chaplin Town Hall instead.
2017 Chaplin Cleanup Commitments (View Map)
|Rt. 198 from Chaplin St. to Natchaug River Bridge||Victoria Northrop & Cesar Beltran|
|Bedlam Rd. from Town Line to Cemetery||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. Cemetery||Chris Komuves|
|Bedlam Rd. from Cemetery to #100||Chris Komuves|
|Bujak Rd.||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Chewink Rd. from Route 6 (State Forrest Area) to #165||Labanara Family|
|Chewink Rd. from #165 to airline trail||Matt Cunningham & Family|
|Diana's Pool and Diana's Pool Road||Boy Scouts Troop 440|
|England Rd.||Juan Sanchez & Family|
|Federal Rd. (from Davis Rd. to Tower Hill Rd.)||Adele & Hank Swart|
|Halls Pond Rd.||The White Family|
|Marcy Rd.||Ann Lewis & David Raczkowski|
|Natchaug St.||Howard - Cordy Family|
|North Bear Hill Rd., from Rt. 198 to Natchaug River||Carl Lindquist|
|North Bedlam Rd., from Ridge Rd. to Palmer Rd.||Pat Dubos|
|Palmer Rd., from North Bedlam to Ridge Rd.||John Smith & Family|
|Pumpkin Hill Rd.||Warren Church & Others|
|Ridge Rd., from Palmer to Rt. 198||Bruce Edelman|
|Rt. 198, along 32-38 Morey Road||The White Family|
|Rt. 198, 300 feet to either side of South Natchaug St. intersection||Howard - Cordy Family|
|Singleton Rd.||Ann Lewis & David Raczkowski|
|South Bear Hill Rd., from end to Cross Rd.||Janet Stone|
|South Cemetary Rd.||Janet Stone|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Mansfield Town Line to Russ Cemetary||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Russ Cemetary to Federal Rd.||Paul Baillargeon|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Federal Rd. to 280 Tower Hill Rd.||Priscilla K. Willey|
|Tower Hill Rd., 280 Tower Hill Rd. to Davis Road||Paul Baillargeon|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Davis Rd. to Ridge Rd.||Carl Lindquist|
|Tower Hill Rd., from Ridge Rd. to Chaplin St.||Kitty Leshay|