Chaplin Cleanup Day
April 17, 2021 (Saturday)
We live in a wonderful town, that's filled with the natural beauty of forests, fields, rivers, streams, ponds and wildlife—as well as historic buildings and cemeteries. All too often, many of us forget just how interesting and beautiful our town is, and don't do all that we can to help preserve that beauty. If you're like me, you feel disgusted when you're walking or driving down a road in our town and see trash littering the sides of the road, or in our cemeteries, Diana's Pool, or other public spaces. Here's a chance to do something about it!
The Chaplin Conservation Commission sponsors an annual Chaplin Cleanup Day, which takes place on the 3rd Saturday of April each year. We did not have a Cleanup Day in 2020 due to COVID-19.
The goal is to have as many individuals, households, and organizations as possible each agree to clean up a section of road or other public area (like Diana's Pool, a cemetery, etc.) within Chaplin. We hope that you will participate, and encourage your friends and neighbors to participate, to help renew this sense of pride and make our town an even better place to live.
How to Participate
With COVID-19 and social distancing, the world is a very different place this year. We will not be having any lunch together on Cleanup Day as we usually do. However, we are still going forward with Cleanup Day, as that should not pose any particular risk as there is no need to be near to other people for this. I do suggest wearing nitrile gloves and of course handwashing immediately afterwards, just to be be sure, in case the nip bottle you pick up was just tossed from a car right before you picked it up.
- Look at the list of cleanup commitments below, and choose an area not yet taken that you or your family/household/organization are willing to take responsibility for cleaning.
- Email a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- ► Your Name(s).
- ► The area you'll be cleaning up (if part of a road, give intersections or house numbers of ends).
- ► (Limited Availability) You can also request to borrow a trash pickup tool or high visibility safety vest (include size of S, M, L, XL, XXL). If you do, please also provide your phone number. You can pick these up outside from my home on Bedlam Rd.
- On or before April 17 perform the cleanup. Plastic trash bags and gloves will be available at the Chaplin Town Hall if you need them. If you come across anything on roads or public land that's too large for you to manage, please let us know, and we'll ask the town to deal with it, if that's appropriate. For the weekend of April 17, a town dump truck will be parked at the Town Hall parking lot, into which you can deposit trash from the cleanup (please do NOT bring any personal trash).
- After the cleanup, send any comments, reports, or photos that you want to share about what you found to email@example.com. These will be published on this cleanup web page.
2021 Chaplin Cleanup Commitments (View Map)
|198, from Pumpkin Hill Rd. to Natchaug St.||Kerry Sacchi , Abbey Morse, Jocelyn Cates, Patrick Morse|
|198, from Transfer Station to #405||Catharine Dietrichsen|
|198, from Ridge Rd. to Bedlam Rd.||Micah Gutt|
|Bujak Rd.||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Bedlam Rd. from #222 to #156||Virginia Walton|
|Bedlam Rd. from Hall Rd. to #48||Chris & Gilbert Komuves|
|Chappell St.||Zuidema Family|
|England Rd. from 198 to Canada Ln.||Sandra Horning|
|Federal Rd. from Tower Hill Rd. to Davis Rd.||Adele & Henry Swart|
|Marcy Rd.||Ann Lewis & Dave Raczkowski|
|Morey Rd. from Marcy Rd. to Town Line||Ann Lewis & Dave Raczkowski|
|North Bedlam Rd., from #202 to #90||Pat & Bob Dubos|
|Nollett Rd.||Kate & Jason Mott|
|Palmer Rd., from Chaplin Elementary to Ridge Rd.||Brandi DeMao|
|Parish Hill Rd., from PHS Pond to South Brook Rd.||Tanya & Tom Stone|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Town Line to Bolduc Ln.||Dick & Helen Weingart|
|Tower Hill Rd. from Ridge Rd. to Chaplin St.||Scott Matthies|
2021 Cleanup Photos
Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org to appear here.